Tuesday 18 April 2017

Shy smile

I made a 7-year old smile. This was delightful to me. I gave her our Wombat (stuffed, not live), and she gave me a wide-eyed, shy smile, spreading slowly into delight. I felt that Wombat had found a good home. I hope that when she got home, after Wombat had been so safely tucked under her arm, Mama did not hoist him into the skip. (It would be poetic justice. He came from one.)

My first thought, was Blimey, I haven't seen a smile like that in while. Perhaps it's because my own children are aged 17.

Hmm, thinking it through, that is not quite right. One daughter is aged 17 going on 50 and is head of this family. She can knock out a mean sourdough loaf while advising you on strategy regarding finance, life goals, and assertion skills for women. I am not sure how I could induce a shy smile there. But she takes after her father.

Another, I can induce a shy smile but it must involve food, theatre tickets, or seats for live folk performances. The timing must be perfect.

The third, I could probably prompt a grin still with a bag of old rubber bands, toilet roll tubes, string, paint, and bottletops. True delight. (I may need to visit Scrapstore this very moment.)

No comments: