Sunday 7 August 2011

I shall trade the kids in for Percy Bysshe Shelley


Last week I threw my passions into the garden to craft a space which now looks like this.


The children heard all the shovel scraping and grunting. They came out to observe the soil digging, ground flattening, wall building, fatsia bashing and table manoeuvring.

They watched my new space emerge with some suspicion. But through the day I maintained this had become my soul's yearning and my mind's vision. Live creatively! I urged. Live imaginatively! Live generously! Live boldly! Be brave, always, to put into life that which you dream!

But children have an uncomfortable way about them, do they not? They frequently miss the point and always observe the thing you would least like them to note. Oft with these perceptions they belittle the world and snatch away that to which the gentler soul aspires.

So to my visionary construction, the children now casually refer. The Gin Drinking Area.

4 comments:

MadameSmokinGun said...

That's completely fantastically geniusly funny!

sharon said...

Gordons, Beefeater or Bombay Sapphire? Definitely too upmarket a place for own brand gin ;-)

Cheers!

Grit said...

regretfully, i have finished off a large bottle of 'maritime gin' whatever that is, i have never heard of it. it tasted only a bit funny. i found it in the office oven. i hope dig has not used the bottle to store turps or something.

RuralDiversity said...

my garden needs a gin drinking area immediately *grabs shovel*