Tuesday 3 March 2009

What you want to teach them isn't what they want to learn

A truism in the classroom.

And I thought that by home education, we would create a different dynamic. Like, teaching and learning coincide.

Stupid Grit.

I take the gritlets to the British Museum. And I smugly walk them past the noisy school groups to the quiet of the Renaissance rooms. Here we see Tudor plate,

delicate ceramics,
exquisite silverware crafted with mother of pearl.


And then I send the gritlets to draw the object that catches their eye best in all the gallery.


And Tiger comes back with this.


Thanks, Tiger.

7 comments:

Firebird said...

ROFLMAO!

That is priceless! I'm so glad I checked here before going to bed, that's the perfect note on which to end the day :-)

sharon said...

Obviously a very sensible little girl. The ability to find the way to the nearest public toilet will stand her in good stead in the future lol!

Unknown said...

Funny, funny, funny.

10 points to Tiger.

Irene said...

She's got a good sense of humor, that girl does. Now, who does she get that from?

Brad said...

OK, now we need a seperate section for 'The Best of Grit's Day' This should be a contender.

That kids yanking your chain, you know that right?

Kitty said...

Brilliant! x

Angela said...

That`s what I just told everybody on my blog! The most important sentence that you`ve got to learn in any language is: Where are the toilets! hahaha (IN German it is: Wo sind die Toiletten?)

In my newspaper of today a man wrote about how he never ever went to a school and taught himself everything he wanted to learn, and now he is a journalist and can look back on a very happy childhood!