Thursday 15 December 2011

At last I discover...

...what I want to do with my life. It is to come and live here, in Sham Shui Po, Hong Kong.


I shall stay here forever, and spend my days making fine hand-sewn leather notebooks with unique decorations, fastenings, and creative embellishments.

Because Sham Shui Po is the only place a crafter can ever be.


It is a Hong Kong front end for the clothing, design and accessories manufacture in mainland China. Which means it is stuffed floor to ceiling, street to street, nose to tail, back to front, inside to outside, alpha to omega, with buttons, ribbons, threads, sparkly things, lace, fabrics, embroidery, leather, sequins, clasps, buckles, decorative metals, beads, chains, pom poms, crafty things and more crafty things at prices that mean they can have all my money for ever and ever amen.


By the third shop on the second street my heart had stopped working and my eyeballs dropped out.


It was only by Squirrel's support that I made it beyond the stone bead shop where I had begun to hyperventilate.


Sham Shui Po is nirvana, plain and simple. When you arrive here, you will find me where I left my body, propped up against the decorative metal pieces for attachment by thread, right there, between the cherubs and the antique fashioned love hearts.

2 comments:

Irene said...

That sounds like a truly wonderful place to be. I think it would have the same effect on me, so I would not be safe there either. Do you think I could borrow a kid when I go there to keep an eye on me? I would want to borrow your credit card also.

Grit said...

you can borrow three kids nora! i don't want anyone watching what i get up to.

sadly, i have no credit cards. just bring tons of cash.

for any visiting crafters passing through (or forcing someone else to do it for you) locate the area intersecting Nam Cheong street and Ki Lung street. (I shall conduct thorough site surveys later.)