Wednesday 25 April 2012

Guard your chickens

I wake up this morning at 6am sit bolt upright and think

I MUST EAT PASTRY

so I pull Squirrel out of bed to make sure I'm not hallucinating or suffering brain hemorrhage then I make her run with me to the shops to buy a shortcrust pastry block then we whistle that soft block back home double-quick where I stuff it with feta cheese and tomatoes and

I EAT PASTRY WITH PASSION

but this is a very surprising turn of eatery-event because for 40 years I have declared

I HATE PASTRY

maybe except filo pastry soaked in nuts and honey so where did it come from this

STRANGE AND THIRSTY LUST FOR PASTRY

but it cannot be that I am pregnant unless 4,000-year old peat bog women can become spontaneously pregnant maybe through witchcraftery and demons working overtime in dreams

but the children remain in a state of shock about this unwarned-about conversion so I'm telling them tomorrow

WATCH OUT!

because I might just wake up at 5.30am to leap out of bed and renounce my 30-year old vegetarian diet with the shout

NOW I MUST EAT A CHICKEN BUT I HAVE TO PLUCK IT GUT IT AND KILL IT FIRST.

2 comments:

Irene said...

It must be all hormonal. That's the only explanation for it. Now you've made me hungry for pastry and chicken. Darn it...

Grit said...

you must be right, irene. i am definitely going through a strange phase. perhaps it is a middle aged crisis and i am having pastry instead of an affair, thus sealing my reputation as a boring bastard forever.