Sunday 13 April 2008

Home

Picking up Squirrel is wonderful. She's small and cute and cuddly and I can barely resist smothering her in hugs and feeling her limbs for bone damage. Dig is with us too, and even better, I do not have to drive, so can twist round in my car seat on the journey home and listen to Squirrel's skylark chatter. In three days and two nights she's clocked up archery, team games, raft building, fencing, abseiling, rifle shooting, zip wire, and two midnight feasts in the dormitory. When I can prise open a space to speak, I say we're glad it was such a great time, and we missed you at Wroxeter, and at Stokesay, and on the viper walk and today, all day at Ironbridge. Then Tiger asks quietly, 'Did you miss us?' And Squirrel answers, carefully, 'Yes. If I had thought about you, I would have done'. There's my girl. Give it with one hand, and take it away with the other.

4 comments:

the mother of this lot said...

Welcome home Squirrel! (Can I stop praying now?)

Grit said...

yes, dear motl, thank you. squirrel is safe and sound clutched to the mother bosom. she's not liking that too much, actually.

Lynn said...

One big adventure for one little person.So glad she is home safe and sound.xx

Mean Mom said...

Youngsters can be easily distracted! It often takes longer for the 'missing parents' thing to hit them. Squirrel did well and so did you. It'll be a bit easier next time.