Monday 15 March 2010

I've been here before

After several days thinking about it, I come to the conclusion that the best way to counter prejudice, blinkered attitude, social snobbery and wilful ignorance is to go up to the rooftops and shout out what I know to be true.

That home education works, regardless of which social class you are told you belong to. That home education benefits children of all abilities. That home education creates inquiring, socially active, engaged children who know how to learn. That home education produces scholars, poets, craftspeople, engineers, all trades, all professions. That home education benefits families and strengthens communities without regulation or control by the state. That home education builds confidence, independence, and tolerance in people of all ages.

Baroness Deech, if you have a mission, then so have I.

5 comments:

sharon said...

Good for you Grit.

Maire said...

And thank the universe for that!

MadameSmokinGun said...

So, she says until recently she knew nothing about home ed but has now IMMERSED herself in it.

That's a relief then.

For a minute there I thought she was talking out of her arse.

victoria&eve said...

Hi, I found your blog via mummo mag, as I'm a fellow contributor. I'm deeply impressed by your ability to home educate. I know I wouldn't have the patience, but I think it's a wonderful thing. Having said that, our children go to a lovely school where they build dens, incubate chicks and write by candlelight. If I wasn't so happy with their school, I think I'd be far more inclined to follow your path. We are however planning to take them out of school for nine months to go travelling, during which time we'll be road schooling them. I'll be reading your blog some more for ideas...

victoria&eve said...

I'm afraid my blogger blog is completely empty. If you did want to look at my blog it's here: http://itsasmallworldafterallfamily.wordpress.com
Sorry for this link if you're not interested.